First written report about the mills in this locality dates from 1497. Historically, 6 mills have been verified. The other three mills, situated lower downstream, were abandoned already in the 156th century, apparently as a result of flooding.
Hrad Kaja - Kaja Castle
The castle was the seat of the noble family Kuenring. At the end of the 14th century it was held by Jindřich z Lipé and later by the Austrian family Einzinger After the destruction during the Hussite wars it was repaired in 1425. In the 1970's the castle chapel was restored and rooms in the castle palace were repaired, now containing an exhibition of the history of castle strongholds on the river Thaya.
Jihomoravské Museum in Znojmo
The South Moravian Museum in Znojmo in the premises of the Minorite Monastery from the second half of the 13th century. In 1279-1297, after the Battle of the Moravian Field, the embalmed body of Přemysl Otakar II was reposed in the monastery.
Klášter Louka - Louka monastery
Premonstrate monastery in Louka, founded by Konrad Oto. It is a monumental complex of buildings above the river Dyje in the southern part of the city. It was rebuilt many times. Preserved Gothic architecture section. Thanks to its wealth the monastery could afford generous Baroque reconstruction which, however, was stopped during the Josephine reform after 1784. The monastery was changed into a baracks. It served that prupose until 1993. At present a suitable use of it is sought for.
Ruins of a former hunting castle, established in 1358 by the Moravian margrave Jan Jindřich, brother to Charles IV. Two castles form the area of the ruins: an older building with a double oval ring of battlements, and a so-called leading castle which, starting in the 15th century, gradually developed out of an initially counter-shifted fortification. After the Thirty Years' War the castle fell into ruin. In the courtyard grow many plants of the seriously threatened Verbascum speciosum, the cellars serve as bat roosts. The castle walls host rare gold dust plants. Below the castle are the remains of a Medieval terrace grown with protected plant species. On the plateau of the ruin the visitor is offered one of the most beautiful views of the Dyje, picturesquely meandering around the Ostroh and the Austrian Umlaufberg. The landscape configuration creates the impression of three rivers flowing around the castle.
A castle with two ponds in the castle park, built in the 16th century, rebuilt in the 18th century in the Baroque style according to the plans of J. B. Fischer of Erlach. The original furnishings were destroyed in World War II, so that after the restoration the castle was furnished with other furniture, also dating from the 18th century. The castle is among the most beautiful ones in Austria.
Rotunda of the Virgin Mary and St.. Catherine
Rotunda of Virgin Mary and St. Catherine. Built in mid-11th century as a part of Prince Břetislav's castle. In 1134 the appanage prince Konrad II provided it with a dome and the interior was decorated with wall paintings of high artistic as well as iconographic value. The Romanesque frescoes depict the genealogy of the Přemyslide lineage. In our country they are the oldest paintings with historical content, and they evidence the Slavic origin of Znojmo. A cultural monument since 1962.
Built from the 13th to the 17th centuries. It consists of cellars of urban houses and an extensive network of galleries cut in the rock up to 4 floors one on top of another. Their mutual connection creates a complex labyrinth 30 kilometres in total length. The cellars served for storage of foodstuffs and, in times when the city was threatened, for defensive purposes. The underground network connected the town with the castle, several galleries ending beyond its battlements. A sample section (approx. 1 km long) is open to the public.
Built on a promontory above the confluence of the Gránický potok Brook and the Dyje. It originated during the reign of Prince Břetislav in the 1st half of the 11th century as a part of a system of border strongholds. The residence of Znojmo appanage of the Ptemyslids and later a Royal castle. However, only a few of the original buildings have been preserved. The Baroque castle was built in 1710-1721 on parts of the foundations of the Medieval castle.